Blogtober 2020 Day 10: The Horror Film BOOk Tag!

8:00:00 AM

 


Hi hello and welcome to day 10 of Blogtober 2020! If you don't know what Blogtober is or are curious as to what I'll be posting throughout the month, feel free to check out my Preparing for Blogtober 2020 post to find out what it's all about! Today, I'll be doing the Horror Film Book Tag from Royal Reader. Be sure to go and check out the original post and read Princess' answers! As an added challenge, I'll also be including my favorite film in the genre that each prompt provides so you'll be getting a book and a film with every prompt! Let's get spooky!
___________________________________________________________________________________

1. The Zombie Apocalypse
A book you would save when civilization ends



Vicious by V.E. Schwab. I'm sure people are tired of me talking about this book but I'm never going to stop mentioning it every chance I get! It's my favorite book for a few reasons but I would absolutely save it if civilization was ending just so I would have something to talk about during the apocalypse.


For a zombie film, I'll recommend Cell! I wanted to recommend Train to Busan again (here's a not so subtle recommendation for that movie go watch it) but I figured I'd do something different. Cell is one of my favorite Stephen King books and while I don't exactly remember the film, I believe I liked it enough to recommend it!

2. The Vampire
A book you would stake through the heart (in whatever sense)



A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan. Unfortunately, I had a falling out with the person that I shared this book series with earlier in 2020 and now any memories I have of this series are just...sad. I do love this series and I read all of the books when I was younger, but now this series just holds a lot of memories that I don't care to revisit. 



My vampire film recommendation is 30 Days of Night! This is definitely a film that I enjoy going back and watching years after I first saw it. It's got such a cool concept and I love the isolation and constant night aspect combined with the threat of vampires.

3. The Haunted House
A book that still haunts you


Heartstream by Tom Pollock. This book absolutely broke my heart, oh my god. It was so good and I really recommend it but I did not go into this prepared to have my soul crushed.


Okay, I know this isn't a film, but oh well. We just recently rewatched The Haunting of Hill House and it was still absolutely fantastic the second time around. It's spooky and still got me in several places despite having seen it before, and I absolutely still bawled my eyes out during pretty much all of the final episode of the season. I can easily say this is my favorite TV series of all time and I am so excited for Bly Manor!

4. The Psychological Thriller
A book with a twist you did not see coming


Home Before Dark by Riley Sager. This book may or may not have inspired my rewatch of Hill House recently because it had such a similar vibe! Riley Sager is my favorite horror/thriller author and I've come to expect twists from him that I never see coming. This one is no exception and it had me shouting while I was finishing it before bed. I've never been disappointed by a book by Riley Sager and I honestly don't think I ever will be.


Possibly unpopular opinion, but I liked Us more than Get Out. Now, hear me out before you come at me! It took me multiple watches of Get Out to appreciate how fantastic it is, and I really do like it now that I fully understand all of the subtle nuances that were sprinkled throughout the film. But with Us, it only took one watch for me to be completely obsessed. And the twists at the end had me freaking out!

5. The Creepy Doll
A book that seems innocent but isn’t


Credence by Penelope Douglas. So, yeah, this book. Where do you start with Credence? It seems like it's gonna be a book about a girl who goes to live with a "family" member and shenanigans ensue with the boys. But, uh, no, haha. Oh no. It's the most taboo book I've ever read and when I say I was reading this with wide eyes, I mean my eyes almost popped out of my head pretty much throughout this entire book. I really liked it but oof this was not innocent in the slightest.


Saw isn't actually a film about a creepy doll but it absolutely has a creepy doll in it, so that totally counts right? I chose Jigsaw since this was the installment of the Saw films that I watched most recently. It probably isn't anyone's favorite of the series, but I actually like it more every time I watch it!

6. The Monster
A book you could barely tackle/defeat (in whatever sense)


It by Stephen King. I'm almost positive both of my answers for this prompt will be exactly the same as 2019 but for a good reason! I still can't seem to tackle this beast of a book and despite really wanting to, I just haven't. I'm intimidated as heck by It and I keep telling myself I'll get to it one day and, well, one day I will.


The Ritual is still one of the coolest monster films I've ever seen and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet! It's one of those films that keep the monster in the shadows right up until the end and it's done so well that when the reveal happens, you're genuinely in shock about it.

7. The Comedy-Horror
A book with mixed genres that worked (or didn’t)


My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. Okay, I'll be honest, I haven't read this one yet. But I've wanted to for so long and I've heard such good things about it and I think this definitely counts as a book that blends genres well!


The Babysitter on Netflix is absolutely hilarious and insanely gory at the same time. If you haven't seen it yet, prepare to laugh and wonder just how many gallons of blood they had to use for this film because it's probably an insane amount. Also, Samara Weaving (Ready or Not) is in this and she is chefs kiss.

8. The (Cliched) Teen Horror
A book you found super cliched/stereotypical


The Merciless by Danielle Vega. I honestly tried to think of a different book to put for this answer, but I just couldn't get past this book. It's such a cheesy teen horror book but I'm such a sucker for it!


Halloween (1978) is absolutely a teen horror film, but it's definitely not cheesy. This was my first ever horror film when I was 9 years old and it sparked my love for all things horror. It's one of my favorite horror films for how subtle it is with its use of blood but maximum suspense level. 

9. The Demonic Possession
A book so gripping you needed an exorcist to escape it


The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling. This book was so good, holy crap. I didn't want to put it down while I was reading it and I got so into it while I was reading it that it stressed me out massively. It's so suffocating and claustrophobic and just absolutely frickin stressful. But it's also amazing and emotional and had me feeling feels that were extra feely.


The Neon Demon was a film that I had been dying to see since I started to see trailers for it in 2016. And now that I've finally seen it, I can safely say that it's one of the weirdest films I've ever seen but I loved it? It's definitely an art-thriller type of film (kind of like Velvet Buzzsaw but not as horrible, just in the same feeling) that's a slow burn stressful kind of story. It's one of those you either love it or hate it films but I think I'm more on the love than hate side. I couldn't look away the entire time I was watching and I honestly don't think I even wanted to stop watching.


10. The Science Fiction
A precious book you would permanently sacrifice to aliens for the good of mankind


Witches of Ash & Ruin by E. Latimer. I read this back in April and oh my god I cried over how much I loved it. It's easily one of my favorite books of 2020 and one of my all-time favorite witchy books, no question about it. If I had to give up a book that I loved, it would be this one as much as it would break my heart to give it up.


Apparently, The Invisible Man is classified as a sci-fi horror film which, okay, I guess makes sense. But oh my heckin heck I finally watched this film recently and I was OBSESSED. I was so stressed out the entire time because I knew the premise of the film but wasn't sure how it was going to be executed and when I say my heart was racing, I mean my anxiety level was so high that I thought I was going to throw up. But it is such a good movie and I have actually watched it 3 more times since my first watch. I have no problem setting aside 2 hours to watch this over and over again. 
___________________________________________________________________________________

And that does it for the Horror Film book tag! This is one of my favorite tags to do because I love getting to talk about books and also sharing my love for horror films. I hope that I was able to introduce you to some new books to read for spooky season and maybe some new films to check out! I would love to know what some of your answers would be, so feel free to leave them down in the comments below. Tomorrow, I'll be talking about some of my Halloween home décor that's around my house right now so come back to see some spooky photos! Thanks for stopping by and I'll scare ya later!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D