Blogtober 2019 Day 7: Book Line Poetry

8:16:00 PM


Hi hello and welcome to day 7 of Blogtober 2019! If you don't know what Blogtober is or are curious as to what I'll be posting throughout the month, feel free to check out my Preparing for Blogtober 2019 post to find out what it's all about!! Today, I'll be doing some book line poetry! This comes from Jemma at Fantastic Books and I highly encourage you to take a look at her original post because she explains it much better than I possibly could. And the poem she ended up with is absolutely beautiful! Let's get spooky!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Jemma's instructions for the book line poetry start with picking your favorite book. To no surprise, I've chosen Vicious by V.E. Schwab which is my favorite book of all-time. You then take the blurb of the book and take either the first word of the first three sentences or close your eyes and pick three words at random and these three words become the title of your poem. Let's check out the blurb! Side note: the blurb in my copy of Vicious is different from the blurb on Goodreads, so I will be inserting my version of the blurb as that is the one that I followed in order to get my words. I also blacked out the rest of the words to resemble the blackout poetry that Victor does in the book!
 
Victor and Eli started out as college roommates- brilliant, arrogant, lonely bots who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in one another. A shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their theses moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. They become EO's, ExtraOrdinaries, leaving a body in their wake and turning on each other.

Ten years later, Victor has escaped from prison and is determined to get his revenge on the man who put him there, aided by a young girl with the ability to raise the dead. Eli has spent the years hunting down and killing every EO he can find, convinced that they are a crime against God, all except his sidekick, a woman whose power is persuasion and whom he cannot defy. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the arch-nemeses have set a course for revenge- but who will be left alive at the end?

As you can see, the first three sentences have the words Victor, A, and But. After I stopped laughing hysterically, I figured those words wouldn't be the right ones for my poem. So, I stuck with Victor and decided to close my eyes and run my finger along the page with the synopsis and choose two new words. After I did that, I ended up with:

Victor and Eli started out as college roommates- brilliant, arrogant, lonely bots who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in one another. A shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their theses moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. They become EO's, ExtraOrdinaries, leaving a body in their wake and turning on each other.

Ten years later, Victor has escaped from prison and is determined to get his revenge on the man who put him there, aided by a young girl with the ability to raise the dead. Eli has spent the years hunting down and killing every EO he can find, convinced that they are a crime against God, all except his sidekick, a woman whose power is persuasion and whom he cannot defy. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the arch-nemeses have set a course for revenge- but who will be left alive at the end?

After blindly choosing my new words, I ended up with Victor, killing, and end which could not be more perfect. So, with my title words selected, I have ended up with Victor's Killing End. Yes, I added an 's to Victor, don't come at me it needed to be done. Next, you use your birthday to determine the pages you'll use to get the words for your poem. If the page you have chosen is blank, take the next closest page with words! Take any of the words in any order you wish and use them to create your poem. Warning: there is a mention of self harm in the third stanza (?) (thanks Eli for being so emo) so if you are sensitive to this or just do not like to read about it, please skip this entirely! 

Victor's Killing End

Victor took his time

Perfect teeth and an easy laugh
Glittering and sharp
Like broken glass
The final bell sounded

She felt alive
(That was the only good thing about digging up a corpse)
She wasn't cold
She was standing over a body
He didn't stop digging.

Carving up his skin
With the beginnings of a plan
He drew the blade up his arm
A blossom of 
appearing
and
disappearing
red
"I can't stop the tissue from repairing"

In those jagged pieces
Something dangerous, and hungry
Searching for signs of life
His darker self peeked through
His patience thinning

Victor took his time
_________________________________________________________________________________

And there's my book line poetry! I'm actually incredibly happy with how it turned out and it really makes me want to do this with some other books as well. My goal was to make it spoopy to fit in with the Halloween season and I think it ended up being fairly creepy! If you're still confused about what to do, don't forget you can visit Jemma's post to get a more clear set of instructions. I really want to see some more book line poetry so please feel free to share yours if you end up doing this. I hope you guys enjoyed my attempt at book line poetry! Thanks for stopping by and I'll scare ya later!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D