Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

8:00:00 AM


 Hi hello and welcome to Top Ten Tuesday! This weekly post is hosted by the wonderful Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl so please be sure to go check out her post with all of the information about TTT. The topic this week is the ten most recent books you haven’t finished. I wasn’t sure if I was going to do this topic or not because I typically don’t talk about books I DNF, but this ended up being helpful for me! It allowed me to remember some of the books I had forgotten about and now I plan to pick those up soon. So yay for more reading! Plus, I feel like DNF’ing books doesn’t need to and definitely shouldn’t feel like a bad thing, so it’s good to talk about them more. Let’s get started!
_____________________________________________________________________________


1. The Handler by L.T. Ryan & C.R. Gray
I think I just got distracted and ended up putting this aside for another book, which happens often because I’m easily distracted and forgetful! But I read the prequel and loved it, and was really enjoying The Handler when I was reading it, so I’ll absolutely be picking this back up soon.

I’m not ashamed to admit that I enjoy smutty spicy romance books. And for the most part, I don’t mind the direction these books tend to go. I don’t think I’ve ever really been bothered by anything I’ve read and I typically enjoy every book I read in the genre. But Little Fox just ended up being too much for me. I enjoyed the first novella and was excited about a sequel, but it unfortunately just ended up being a lot and I guess I found my limit, and I wasn’t able to finish it. 

This book and I just didn’t vibe and that’s pretty much it. Sometimes you pick up a book and it just doesn’t end up being a good fit for you as a reader and that’s okay!

I was reading this and really enjoying the format of how the story was laid out, but I think when I realized how long it was, I set it aside because I just wasn’t in the mood for a long book at the time. What I read was really good and I was excited to see where the plot was going (I’d heard really good things about the book) so I’ll probably pick it back up around October!

This is one that I have no idea why I put down because I was so excited to read it and was loving it when I was reading! I think it’s just another case of “Megan found a shiny cover that distracted her and now she’s put down her current read for the new one” and like I said, that happens a lot.

This should not be a surprise to anyone who has (somehow) managed to read this one. I have tried reading Gideon the Ninth at least six times by now and I just can’t do it. It’s so confusing and I can’t stay focused because I don’t understand what’s happening, so I get frustrated and put it down. I want to read this so bad but my brain is the worst. Maybe I’ll try to buddy read it with someone and see if having another person to help me understand will make it easier to read for me.

This one is tough to remember why I put it down. Was I not enjoying it? Did I get distracted? Did I just simply forget about it? I know I was liking the weirdness of it but something happened and I just never picked it back up. This might be one I have to finish out of principle because why did I stop reading?!

Have I finished reading this? No. Do I have three copies of it? Yes. Look, I’m a sucker for a pretty book cover and this book had some pretty editions and I fell for them. I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever pick this back up for reasons but I guess at least I have some pretty covers on my shelf, right?

Honestly, I don’t think I made it even 5 chapters in to this before my brain was screaming from being overwhelmed with information. I want to read this because I’ve heard it’s really good and that the sequel is even better, but the info dumping right at the start absolutely killed me. 

Okay listen I got really far into this before I got distracted. I think I was somewhere around 80% of the way through and I knew in my soul this was a five star read. My mom loved it and wanted me to pick it up so I did and what I read was so good! It’s one of V.E. Schwab’s favorite books so like, obviously I have to read it, you know? Another case of shiny cover distraction but this is one I really do plan on finishing because I am dying to know how it all ends. And it better be a happy ending!
_____________________________________________________________________________
And that’s it for this Top Ten Tuesday! As I said above, I’m glad I did end up doing this prompt because now I want to pick up several of these books I had forgotten about. And I don’t think I didn’t finish most of these because they were bad, but because I just got distracted and forgot that I was reading them. It’s frustrating, especially when I think back and remember that I was enjoying most of these when I was reading, but it’ll be nice to revisit and finish these worlds I’ve dipped my toes into! Have you read any of the books I talked about? Have you DNF’d any books on my list? What’s one book that you DNF’d but are considering picking up again? Let me know in the comments below! Thanks for stopping by and I’ll see you in the next chapter!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Episode Thirteen has been on my tbr for a while and I got scared a little seeing it on your list. I'm glad it was just a "not right now" type of book hahah

    Also, I totally agree with you for House of Earth and Blood! I've tried reading it like 3 times now and I just....don't care. I was so confused too haha

    My TTT: https://www.mollysbooknook.com/9-audiobooks-i-couldnt-finish/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gideon the Ninth is on mine too! I want to read it so badly because I've had it recommended to me a million times, but like you said just so confusing and I end up not caring.

    My TTT: https://bookbabenails.wordpress.com/2023/07/25/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-dnfd/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do end up finishing Klune's book. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true. It's totally normal to DNF books we aren't feeling and we really should not feel guilty about it! Different strokes for different folks and all that...

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you do end up finishing Klune's book since if you got that far through, you were obviously enjoying it! I've gone off Sarah J Maas in recent years, I enjoyed the TOG series (though the later books somewhat less) and I liked ACOMAF out of the two ACOTAR books I read, but all her books were starting to feel very same-y to me, like the characters from ACOTAR and TOG felt fairly indistinguishable and she used a lot of the exact same plot points for later books in the series so I just started getting bored. I got about 200 odd pages into ACOWAR and just felt like I couldn't be bothered reading anymore.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/07/25/top-ten-tuesday-430/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Top Ten Tuesday because it reminds us of books we forgot existed! :) Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applaud for DNF something at 80% in. After the 50% mark, I tend to just finish them and end up giving the book a low rating :/ Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/10-books-i-recently-marked-as-did-not-finish/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D