Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag!

8:00:00 AM

Hi hello and welcome to the Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag! This tag was originally created by Earl Grey Books and Chami and is an incredibly popular tag that lets you talk about your reading year so far and some things that you're wanting to get to in the second half of the year. I've done this tag for several years and I always get excited when the time comes around for me to do another one. This is a great way for me to see how I’ve done so far with my reading and maybe allows me to see any changes I want to make with my TBR for the second half of the year, which is so helpful. Let’s get started!
___________________________________________________________________________

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2023 
The Haunting of Alejandra by V. Castro! This is my favorite book of 2023 so far and one that is easily on my favorite books of all-time list. It was such a fantastic journey with Alejandra and her ancestors and the trauma that they've endured and the entity that haunts them. If you're a fan of books that have generational trauma, empowering females, and creepy entities, then you need to read this!

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2023
That Time I Got Drunk and Yeeted a Love Potion at a Werewolf by Kimberly Lemming. I absolutely loved book one in the Mead Mishaps series and book two was just as fun and adorable. I'm really excited for the third book in the series, That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Human because I know it's going to be another great installment in one of my new favorite series!

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros. I know everyone is talking about this book and the pretty first edition with sprayed edges but I haven't exactly heard if the book is good or not. I'm assuming it is because it really is everywhere, but I'd like to find out for myself!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
The Fragile Threads of Power by V.E. Schwab
. To no one's surprise I'm excited about a V.E. Schwab release! That's sarcasm because of course I'm excited about a V.E. Schwab release and if you've read just one of my blog posts, you would know that. I do need to re-read the series (I read book one and half of book two, don't come at me for not finishing them) but I'll absolutely be ready once September comes around!

5. Biggest disappointment
Okay hear me out, because this wasn't exactly a disappointment. The Trees Grew Because I Bled There by Eric LaRocca is a book that I initially wasn't a fan of and I gave it 3 stars. I felt like I had missed something while reading that everyone else seemed to get and it made me feel sad because I was just like meh about it after reading. But this book has stuck with me and I keep thinking about it long after reading, and I think that's the sign of a book that left an impact. So, this may have initially been a "disappointment" but I've absolutely changed my mind on this one.

6. Biggest surprise
The Last Word by Taylor Adams
. I have a hard time finding thrillers that I actually enjoy because it feels like a lot of them are so similar and follow the same kind of formula, if that makes sense. This one may come across as a generic isolated house thriller, but it was done so well! It actually creeped me out a few times while I was reading in the dark before bed so I think that's a sign of a good book. 

7. Favorite new author (Debut or new to you)
Definitely R.F. Kuang. I just finished reading Yellowface and it was my first book by her. For some reason, I've never picked up any of her other books despite them all being on my TBR, but something about Yellowface made me want to read it. I'm so glad I finally read a book by her because I absolutely loved everything about it. I cannot wait to read The Poppy War trilogy and Babel!

8. Newest fictional crush
I don't necessarily have book crushes but I do love characters in books that have crushes! Everett and Sienna from Kisses From Cupid by Kenna Bellrae (they're also in All Hallows' Haunt and that book shows the beginning of their relationship!) are one of my all-time favorite couples. I mean, I honestly love all of the characters that KB has created, but something about Everett and Sienna just hits different. Highly recommend if you enjoy spicy books!

9. Newest favorite character
Alright don’t hate me but I don’t think I have one, and let me explain! I’m the kind of reader that forms an attachment to pretty much every character I read about in some way. I felt the pain of not being enough that Alejandra felt, I understood being an outcast like James, I understood Emma’s depression and desire to no longer live, and the main characters of The Trees Grew Because I Bled There were absolutely cancer and grief and of course, I have been there and experienced those things. I love the characters that I have the privilege to read about for so many different reasons, and I can’t wait to fall in love with more in the books that I’m able to read in the second half of the year!

But also I love James and Becks from A Song of Sin and Salvation.

10. Book that made you cry
A Song of Sin and Salvation by L.H. Blake. I had the wonderful opportunity to read an ARC of this book and it absolutely destroyed me in the best way possible. True story, I went with my husband to get his hair cut at a Great Clips and I was reading this on my phone. I was towards the end at a very cute and intense part of the book (for those that have read it, it's the prom scene) and I was quite literally crying, kicking my feet, and gasping in public surrounded by people. I have never done that before but this book was so good that I couldn't help myself.

11. Book that made you happy

The Fae Queen's Captive by Sierra Simone. I loved this novella, oh my gosh. I read it based off of the recommendation of AModelWho'sRead and I am so glad I did! It was filled with beautiful imagery, a super interesting world, frickin fae politics that made me want so much more because it was that cool, and it was a good amount of spicy and sweet with the main character and fae queen. I just remember reading it and smiling and being so happy that I picked it up.

12. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
Prince of Thorns & Nightmares by Linsey Miller 
is so pretty in person, oh my gosh. Linsey sent me an ARC (shoutout to Linsey, I still love you and your grocery lists) and not only did she sign it for me, she stamped the edges with a really pretty flower stamp and I just love it so much.

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Godkiller by Hannah Kaner
Iris Kelly Doesn't Date by Ashley Herring Blake

14. Favorite Book Community Member
I have a few bookish community members that I absolutely love and find myself going back to constantly to read their reviews or consume the content they release. 

a lil bit mads
AModelWho'sRead
Booked and Busy
BooksandLala
chloe bunny
Destiny @ Howling Libraries
gabbyreads
Jess Owens
Jordaline Reads
Katie Colson
oliviareadsalatte
Reading With Meg
Reads with Rachel
___________________________________________________________________________
And that does it for the Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag, 2023 edition! I always love getting to do this tag and looking back on my answers to see how my reading tastes have changed. This is also one of my favorite tags to see the bookish community answer because there are so many different answers to these prompts, and it’s great to see why people choose the answers that they do. Have you done the Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag yet this year? What is one book you need to read before the end of 2023? Let me know in the comments below and feel free to link me to your post so I can check out your answers. Thanks for stopping by and I’ll see you in the next chapter!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D