Book Review: Rhodi Rising by Megan Linski

1:09:00 PM

Title: Rhodi Rising
Author: Megan Linski
Pages: 177
Genre: YA Dystopian
Release Date: 04 September 2016

From Goodreads: "Forced into hiding. Desperate to find their masters.
In the past few months since the attack on their home, twin assassins Dylan and Devin have grown restless. With the Rhodi facing extinction, they search for their masters Talidin and Tavana, only to discover they’ve gone missing. With nowhere to turn, the twins seek help from a pair of mysterious spies, only to find the trail gone cold, marked by hints of torture and destruction. Dylan and Devin piece together the events that led to the disappearance of their fellow Rhodi. As their enemies close in for the kill, Dylan discovers that some things are impossible for a Rhodi…but not for a tigress."


Thank you to YA Bound Book Tours, Megan Linski, and Gryfyn Publishing for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for review!

thisbookthisbookthisbookthisbookomgyouguysthisbook

Super unprofessional but this book, you guys. I went on a roller coaster of feelings from start to finish and I am so excited to finally be able to close out the trilogy with the final book, Rhodi's Lullaby, very soon! But for now, please enjoy my 100% professional review on quite possibly one of the best sequels ever, Rhodi Rising.

Spoilers ahead! If you have not read Rhodi's Light, and do not want any spoilers for the series, do not continue reading!


Picking up four months after the end of Rhodi's Light, we follow Dylan and Devin as they live out their life in hiding with their aunt, uncle, and cousin. Adamaris, a free state, is far from Areos and far from Talidin and Tavana. But it's for the best, right? Unfortunately, the Hunters Guild attacks and takes the twins' new guardians hostage. Even worse, they find out that Talidin and Tavana have been kidnapped. Now, along with their cousin Tristan, and some unlikely new friends, the twins must journey to find their masters and stop the Hunters Guild once and for all. 

From the very first page, I knew that this book was going to take my emotions on a roller coaster ride. I was so ready to get back into the world of the Rhodi and before I knew it, the book was over and I was left in tears. This series has absolutely taken over my life in the best way possible and this installment just drew me in even more. I didn't know it was possible, but I fell even more in love with the world that Megan Linski has created. 

Once again, I have to commend the approach that was taken regarding Dylan and her self harming. While it wasn't as big of an issue in this book, it was still brought up and acknowledged, and it was handled so very well just like in the first book. I especially loved how Enfys approached Dylan about it. Even though he didn't know her very well, he told her that he wanted her to come talk to him if she ever felt the need to hurt herself because it made him sad to think that she was in that much pain. I'm still so happy with the way that this issue is addressed in the series, and am still hoping that Dylan can finally work her way through it!

While Dylan definitely still holds my number one favorite character spot, I have to say that Enfys is a close second after his introduction. I absolutely adored the way that he was written, and the way that he spoke throughout the book really gave off a Scottish vibe and I couldn't help but love him! Of course I still have a soft spot for Talidin and Tavana, although they had much smaller parts in this book. I think I liked that the older Rhodi were kind of in the background in this book because it allowed Dylan and Devin to grow independently of their masters and learn how to work without their guidance. A character that really surprised me in their development was Tristan, and I really can't wait to see where his story goes in the next book!

A little tidbit that I really appreciated was how there were these little parts that helped the reader learn how to say some of the unique names that were presented in the book. The twins travel to Dunedinne where they meet Enfys and Jenna, and I can probably name a thousand different ways that I tried to pronounce both Dunedinne and Enfys before the little pronunciation parts popped up. At one point, Jenna says "Dune-deen-nian" and while it's not Dunedinne, it certainly helped with learning how to say it properly. Enfys was another one that I had a hard time pronouncing, until Tristan helped the twins by telling them it was "En-vees" because Dylan was also having pronunciation issues. It's a small, silly little thing but I really liked that it was thrown in there for the new, more difficult names.

The plot line and pacing for Rhodi Rising was nothing short of perfect. What I really enjoy about the pacing is that while it moves fairly fast, you never feel like you're missing anything. So much can happen all in one chapter, but the story never falls flat or slows down. Fast pacing combined with a solid plot line makes for one fantastic story, and that is exactly what this book is. We get to dive more into the world of the Rhodi and learn a bit about some ancient Rhodi weapons, get a lot more backstory on Dylan and Devin's parents, and even get some information about Saffron and her past. With the new information we're given, the expansion of the world that has already been laid out from the first book, and the cliffhanger ending, Rhodi Rising is a wonderful second book that sets up the ending of the series very well.

As with the first book, the writing in Rhodi Rising was phenomenal. It took me no time at all to fall back into the beautiful world of the twins. The world building is spectacular and really allows you to put yourself into the shoes of the characters and almost see what they're seeing at the time. Because of the third person perspective, you get a very unique sense of what is happening with multiple characters throughout the book. One character may see one thing a certain way, or may be feeling one way in a situation, but with this point of view you get to see and understand multiple characters feelings at any given time. I've never been a huge fan of multiple points of view in a book, but Megan Linski pulls this off so well that I couldn't imagine reading from a single view point. There is so much going on in this world, and being able to view it from several characters is such a wonderful way to be able to experience the story.

All in all, Rhodi Rising is an absolutely wonderful continuation of the story of Dylan and Devin and their Rhodi family and friends. This book has beautiful writing, an exciting and faced paced story line, and characters that continue to grow with each book. I can safely say that the Rhodi saga has taken its place at the top of my favorite series of 2016, and I haven't even completely finished the trilogy! This is such a unique take on the dystopian/fantasy genre and I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a new series that will instantly hook you from page one! Make sure to continue the Rhodi trilogy with the second book, Rhodi Rising, available on 04 September 2016!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D