Book Review: Rhodi's Light by Megan Linski

9:54:00 AM

Title: Rhodi's Light
Author: Megan Linski
Pages: 172
Genre: YA Dystopian/Fantasy
Release Date: 04 September 2016

From Goodreads: "Flight. Hyperspeed. Clairvoyance. 

These are some of the powers gifted to the Rhodi, an ancient sect of assassins who defend Crescentia, a dystopian world with a dying hope.

Dyliana Fairsson is one of them. After losing her parents to a suspicious accident, she and her twin brother, Devin, join the Rhodi to avoid starvation. Under the direction of her master, Dylan struggles to learn the strength of her magic …as well as hide the growing scars on her wrists. Can Dylan become the warrior, the hero, she’s destined to be? Or is she fated to fall from the light into the darkness?"

Thank you to YA Bound Book Tours, Megan Linski, and Gryfyn Publishing for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for review!

Before I get started with my review, I'd like to take the time to thank the author, Megan Linski, for not only tackling the sensitive subject of self harming, but for also including a warning at the beginning of the book in case there are readers who are potentially sensitive to the subject matter. It's an issue I don't find often, and while it was incredibly hard for me to read personally, the way the issue was handled by other characters made me incredibly happy. So, thank you Megan Linski, for handling the issue so well.

Rhodi's Light is the beginning to a wonderful YA dystopian/fantasy trilogy that follows twin siblings Dylan and Devin on their journey to becoming Rhodi warriors. After losing their parents in a car accident, Dylan and Devin are left homeless, fending for themselves on the streets. One day, they encounter a pair of Rhodi warriors, and are soon taken in to become trainees in the Rhodi arts. As Dylan and Devin dive deeper into the world of Rhodi, forces that work to destroy Crescentia grow stronger and threaten to tear apart everything that the twins have come to love.

This book was amazing. It was really, really fast paced, had some really lovable characters, and a plot line to die for! It was so much fun to read and I really flew through it faster than I wanted to. By the end of the book, I wasn't ready for it to end and was dying to get my hands on the sequel! I was afraid that because of how fast paced it was, and how the information was sort of presented in a "this happened, and then this, and now let's jump three months" would really bother me, but it actually just made for an easy read. I'm not complaining about the format in any way, it was just presented in a different way than I'm used to, and I wasn't sure how I would feel about it!

The character I related most to and who was definitely my favorite was Dylan. She was going through so much, from trying to deal with the death of her parents to having to take care of her brother, but by the end of the book, she was such a strong character and I really felt my heart tearing apart for her. Dylan dealt with the issue of self harming, and as I stated above, I really feel like the author wrote about this issue very well and had the characters in the book react in a way that I was not expecting but was very pleased with. I was especially happy when Dylan made the decision that she no longer wanted to do it, and was willing to work hard towards recovery.

While Dylan was my favorite character, I found myself falling in love with Devin, Talidan, and Tavana as well. I really liked that the younger twins ended up having the older twins as their mentors. I think it was easier for me to love all four of them more as the book was in third person omniscient and I got to follow them all throughout the book and really get to know them individually. Talidan is easily my second favorite and I really love the relationship that develops between him and Dylan!

A concept that was really unique to this book was the Crafts that Rhodi warriors had. It was something that really caught my interest and kept me reading until I got to see more about it. Basically, every Rhodi warrior has a Craft inside them, and once it's unlocked, they can do things like run really fast, fly, and even see the future. It wasn't addressed until really late in the book, but it was such a cool reveal when the twins finally discovered their individual Crafts! I won't spoil anything, but Dylan's Craft made my jaw drop!

One thing I can say for sure is I love Megan Linski's writing. She is so descriptive and has such a beautiful way of bringing her story to life. From the very beginning of the book, I was attached to the twins and really wanted to follow their story to see what would happen. I was easily able to fall into their world and wanted to learn more about how it became the way it did. The dystopian genre is my favorite to read about, and the world of Rhodi's Light really differed from any book I've read. There were so many beautiful names for the countries and I am super excited to hopefully be able to learn more about Crescentia in the next two books!

All in all, Rhodi's Light is a wonderful beginning to a trilogy that is sure to become one of my absolute favorites. It has beautiful writing that will draw you in and keep you on the edge of your seat, characters you can easily fall in love with, and a plot that is unlike any other you will discover in a YA trilogy. If you're looking for a fantastic new dystopian/fantasy YA book, then pick up Rhodi's Light on 04 September 2016 and get ready to become a Rhodi for life!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D