Wicked Reads Blogger Campaign!

8:00:00 AM


Boo to you and welcome to the Wicked Reads Blogger Campaign! This post has been made in collaboration with Penguin Young Readers and I'm so grateful to them for the opportunity to write this! Today, I get the opportunity to share with you a creative blog post based off of a spooky read. What is the book you ask? None other than Map of Days by Ransom Riggs! I'm going to pick a few characters from the book and talk about what I think they would dress up as for Halloween and also what I think their favorite candy to get in their treat bag would be. Let's get spooky!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Title: A Map of Days
Author: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 480
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: 02 October 2018
Amazon | B&N | BD 
From Goodreads: "Having defeated the monstrous threat that nearly destroyed the peculiar world, Jacob Portman is back where his story began, in Florida. Except now Miss Peregrine, Emma, and their peculiar friends are with him, and doing their best to blend in. But carefree days of beach visits and normalling lessons are soon interrupted by a discovery—a subterranean bunker that belonged to Jacob’s grandfather, Abe. Clues to Abe’s double-life as a peculiar operative start to emerge, secrets long hidden in plain sight. And Jacob begins to learn about the dangerous legacy he has inherited—truths that were part of him long before he walked into Miss Peregrine’s time loop. Now, the stakes are higher than ever as Jacob and his friends are thrust into the untamed landscape of American peculiardom—a world with few ymbrynes, or rules—that none of them understand. New wonders, and dangers, await in this brilliant next chapter for Miss Peregrine’s peculiar children. Their story is again illustrated throughout by haunting vintage photographs, but with a striking addition for this all-new, multi-era American adventure—full color."

Warning: This may contain slight spoilers if you haven't read the first book! Proceed with caution!


1. Jacob Portman

Because Jacob is able to see the Hollows, I thought it would be kind of fitting for him to dress up like a monster hunter  Jacob would probably be really excited to get some Werther's caramel hard candies. Like, those old grandpa sweater candies that you used to eat when you were younger but probably forgot them the name of for a while. And they're definitely the candy that Miss Peregrine would hand out!

2. Emma Bloom
(Okay, I know they switched Emma and Olive's powers in the movie so I'm only using her photo for reference. I will be referring to her actual peculiarity, pyrokinesis, in this post!)

For Emma, I think she'd take the funny route and dress up as a bottle of hot sauce. And for her candy? How about some Red Hots! She says she likes them because it's ironic for her to like them, but really she just likes the cinnamon flavor. Another candy Emma would probably be on the lookout for are Atomic Fireballs! Again, ironic, but also the cinnamon flavor is one that she seems to enjoy.

3. Miss Alma Peregrine


Miss Peregrine would look absolutely fantastic as, well, herself! Her outfit in the movie looks like she stepped right out of a costume shop. In the best way possible of course! And I really feel like she wouldn't go trick or treating but would rather stay home and hand out candy. But what kind of candy, you ask? How about some classic "grandma" candies like the strawberry hard candies (you know the ones) and some Mary Jane's and Peanut Butter Kisses.  I can absolutely see this old school candy coming from Miss Peregrine!

4. Olive Elephanta
(Again, only using the photo for visual reference and will be referring to her actual peculiarity, levitation, in this post!)


Because Olive can levitate, I think the perfect Halloween costume choice for her would be a ghost! How hilarious would it be for her to just throw on a sheet with eyes cut out and float (literally) around trick or treating? I'd love to see that happen! As for the candy that she's most looking forward to? Bubblegum! She loves blowing huge bubbles and floating around pretending that her giant candy bubbles are carrying her around the sky.

5. Enoch O'Connor


Enoch has the ability to temporarily bring life into corpses or inanimate objects so I thought the perfect morbid (because let's face it, Enoch is pretty morbid) Halloween costume for him would be Death and/or the Grim Reaper. The boy who can (temporarily) give life dresses like the one who takes life away. And to be honest, I'm not sure Enoch would really care about candy. Or trick or treating. Or Halloween. Or anything, really. But if I had to choose a candy for him, I think he'd want some Junior Mints, although I can't put my finger on exactly why I think he would go for that.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, I have to say, this was one of the most fun posts I've made in quite a while! It was so much fun to go back and think about these characters and what they might want to dress up as for Halloween and what kind of candy they'd most want while trick or treating. It took some thinking for sure but it was great to revisit the world and the characters again. If you're interested in seeing my fun Instagram post I made that goes along with the Wicked Reads campaign, feel free to head on over here to check it out! I'd love to know what you think about my picks for costumes and candy and also what you would pick for each of these characters so feel free to leave a comment down below with your ideas! Thank you so much again to Penguin Young Readers for allowing me to take part in this awesome blogger campaign! Have a safe and happy Halloween! Stay spooky!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D