Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag!

9:46:00 AM



Hi hello and welcome to the Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag! This tag was originally created by Chami from IsThatChami and Ely from elyjayne so be sure and go check out both of their channels! I haven't had a super successful reading year so far due to health issues, but I enjoyed doing this tag so much last year that I wanted to give it a go again! Any reviews I may have for any books I talk about will be linked so be sure to go and check them out to see my thoughts. Let's get started!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Best book you’ve read so far in 2018 


Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh
. This book, oh my god, this book. It's easily my favorite book that I've read so far this year, a new all-time favorite, and will definitely be in my top 5 of 2018. If you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for?! That cover alone should be enough to draw you in! Beneath the gorgeous pastel pink cover is a story about a bisexual necromancer that will take you on a journey that you'll never want to come back from.

Best sequel you've read so far in 2018


The Merciless IV: Last Rites by Danielle Vega. I absolutely adore The Merciless series. Hands down, one of my favorite YA horror series ever. This is the final book in the series and wow did Danielle Vega end it on a high note! Trust me, it's a scream.

New release you haven't read yet but want to

The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang. I've heard this book is intense and that's really all I needed to know about it to make me want to pick it up. I've been searching for a book that will have a serious impact on me and if everything I've heard about this so far is true, then boy am I in for it with this one.

Most anticipated release for the second half of the year


Ruin of Stars by Linsey Miller
. First off, DO YOU SEE THIS COVER, Y'ALL? I read an ARC of Mask of Shadows last year in early August and have been waiting for this amazing sequel for what feels like forever. Sal is my everything, my precious, I would kill for them and die for them and do anything to see them happy. This is the sequel that I've been needing and I will not stop telling people about these books, this series. Mask of Shadows is such an important book to me and I get emotional just thinking about how much I love it. Ruin of Stars is probably going to ruin me (haha get it?) in the worst and best ways possible, but I'm just so ready for more Sal and their world and the absolutely poetic way that they speak, and just...more Sal. There are not enough words in the universe for me to be able to describe how much I love this series but trust me, I'll find the words. 

Biggest disappointment

Zenith by Sasha Alsberg & Lindsay Cummings. This may be controversial and I'm always slightly hesitant to talk about how disappointed I was in this book, but I take pride in being honest about my feelings on a book. This was a highly anticipated release for me ever since I read the novella back in 2016. I loved it and was so excited to hear it was getting a full book! And then I read it. Well, half of it anyway. I blame it on me just not being in the right mindset to enjoy it and do plan on giving it another chance soon. But at the time I just was not feeling it and it made me so disappointed.

Biggest surprise


Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl
. I know, this may not make much sense, but bear with me. It took me quite literally four times to get into this book. I just couldn't get past the first two or three pages for some reason. No matter how hard I tried it just wasn't clicking. But I finally pushed myself to sit and read and wow. I'm actually really enjoying it and can't wait to share my thoughts on it!

Favorite new author (Debut or new to you)


Sarah Glenn Marsh
. I will read any and everything she writes forever and ever. No joke, she's amazing and did I mention that I love Reign of the Fallen? Because I really, really do.

Newest fictional crush

 

Odessa from Reign of the Fallen and Sal from Mask of Shadows/Ruin of Stars. Are you possibly seeing a pattern yet? Odessa is a necromancer and Sal is an assassin and if that doesn't say anything about the type of characters that I'm drawn to in books then I don't know what does. I adore Odessa and Sal is my everything and I wasn't about to choose between the two!

Newest favorite character

Lemon Fresh from LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff. Oh boy do I love me some Lemon Fresh. So much so that I even made a cosplay based off of her character! Lemon is the absolute queen of my life and I love her dearly and everyone needs a best friend like her, seriously.

Book that made you cry


The Last Wish of Sasha Cade by Cheyanne Young. This book hits so close to home because (for those that may not know) I was diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's Lymphoma in November 2017 and recently finished my last chemotherapy treatment in May. Sasha, best friend of the main character Raquel, dies of the same cancer that I was cured of. I just get so emotional thinking about this book and how personal this feels to me. It's a special one and definitely made me cry!

Book that made you happy


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I finally read this and holy crap I am so glad I did! It took me long enough, right? But wow was it amazing and it absolutely lived up to the hype that I've been seeing in the book community since it was released. Now I just need to read Crooked Kingdom!

Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year


Ready Player One
. This was so good!!! I loved all of the easter eggs that were woven throughout and Art3mis was definitely my favorite character. Probably should read the book at some point!

Favourite review you've written this year


Yes, this book again. I know it's probably annoying to see the same book mentioned over and over again but seriously, this is definitely worth mentioning multiple times. My review is linked above but I'll also link it here if you'd like to check it out!

Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)

I feel like if I talk about it too much, then I'll jinx it. But let's just say it's pastel pink and has stitches.

What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

I don't have nearly enough time to talk about the probably hundreds of books I want/need to read by the end of this year! I'll mention a few that I'm really looking forward to and link their Goodreads pages in case anything sounds interesting!

Ruin of Stars by Linsey Miller
Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White
_________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much for checking out my tag! If you're reading this and would like to do it, consider yourself tagged. I'd love to know some of your answers or if we share any opinions on any of the books I talked about. Leave a comment below telling me what your most anticipated release for the second half of 2018 is! Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you in the next chapter!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D