Book Review: Torrent by Megan Linski

7:32:00 PM

Title: Torrent
Author: Megan Linski
Pages: 194
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Release Date: 12 September 2017

From Goodreads: "What if you were in love with heaven and hell? 
Cassia Delamore is a foster kid. Shuffled from home to home all her life after losing her mother, she’s never known her father, nor what it feels like to be loved. She hopes to start a new life in the idyllic town of Heaven. She has a plan; graduate high school, pack her bags, and leave her tragic past behind her. Yet fate is about to turn Cassia’s life upside down. On her first day of high school, she meets two very different men… bad boy Thames, who possesses a fiery temper, and cool Cairo, captain of the football team and all-around hero. But there’s more to these men than meets the eye. As Cassia grows closer to the boys, she discovers a world of angels and demons fighting for the souls of mankind. Cassia finds herself immersed in a holy war that isn’t hers, torn between Cairo and Thames in a love triangle straight out of a storybook. Will Cassia taste forbidden fruit? Or will her epic romance end in a dark destiny? 
Thank you to Megan Linski and Gryfyn Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review! All opinions are my own.

Yup, that's right, another Megan Linski book. Honestly, I don't know how she does it. At this point, I'm pretty convinced that she's a writing wizard sent to Earth to bring us amazing book after amazing book. Seriously, she has some crazy talent. So strap in and prepare for my review gush about her newest book, Torrent.

Plot:
Cassia is a foster kid, bouncing from home to home after losing her mother as a kid. Now, in the town of Heaven, Michigan with her new foster mother, she hopes to start a new life. Her plan is to graduate high school, pack her bags, and leave her past behind her. But fate has other plans. On her first day of school, she meets two very different people- hot-headed Thames and calm and cool Cairo. There's more to these boys than meets the eye and their differences are more than they appear on the surface. Cassia is soon thrust into a world full of angels and demons and a holy war that has nothing to do with her. Torn between Cairo and Thames in a love triangle that could become fatal, will Cassia reach out to what's forbidden or will her romance end in tragedy?

Fair warning, my reviews on Megan Linski books tend to be more me blabbering on about how much I loved the book and her writing. This will probably be no different. I've been on a roll reading her Shifter Prophecy series, all caught up in a romance involving a vampire and a wolf and their incredibly convoluted love story. When I saw an ARC copy of Torrent sitting in my inbox, I quite literally pounced. All I saw about the book was, "What if you were in love with heaven and hell?" and I was sold. It doesn't take much when it comes to a Megan Linski book, to be quite honest. She consistently puts out books that just speak to me on different levels and I've never been disappointed by her work. Torrent is no exception. The plot follows Cassia as she tries to navigate not only a new home and foster mother, but a new school, and her growing feelings for two boys that aren't exactly human, but there is so much more to this book than you think there is, and I loved every bit of it. From the battle between angels and demons, to Cassia's crazy "love triangle," and most importantly, Cassia herself, Torrent hooked me and didn't let go until the last page.

This book starts off feeling a bit like Twilight (which hit me right in the nostalgia feels and had me impatiently turning pages on my Kindle to read more, no shame) with the new girl in school meeting the mysterious bad boy. Except there's two boys, and only one of them is "bad." There's secrets, and romance, and more secrets and it all comes together to create an addictive story that will have you aggressively turning the pages for more. Seriously, it's addictive. Everything unfolds so well and does a great job at keeping the reader interested while not giving away all of the important details all at once. One of the best points of the story? The romance isn't insta-love! It builds up slowly (with both boys) and you feel rather satisfied when they finally step up and reveal their feelings. I'm generally not a fan of love triangles, and was hesitant at the thought of reading about another one, but I think I can safely say that this isn't a love triangle. It's complicated, but definitely makes more sense once you read it. Also, I loved how clever Megan Linski was making the setting in Heaven, Michigan. All of the clever points to her for that. Torrent is just an incredibly easy and satisfying read that is sure to please fans of the paranormal romance genre. Step aside, Fallen, because Torrent is here to slay!

Characters:
Cassia was such a great character to follow. There was a deeper level to her than I initially thought and when I learned about her past and why she was so eager to leave it behind, I honestly wanted to crawl between the pages and hug her. She had a rough life with all of her foster homes, and her most recent one (before coming to Heaven, Michigan) was the worst. Watching her try to adapt to a home/foster parent that actually loved and cared for her was so sad because she truly didn't understand what was happening. She didn't get that her foster mom actually loved her and wanted to take care of her and have her stay and it absolutely broke my heart to see that. But in spite of her terrible past, she was so strong. Cassia didn't take crap from anyone, angels and demons included. She stood up for herself and called people out on their nonsense and I couldn't get enough of her sassy attitude. There was also something about her that I kind of called from the beginning, but it was still cool finding it out at the end! Cassia was just fabulous and so real and I truly think anyone who reads Torrent will end up with a soft spot for her.

Very quickly, I want to touch on the boys of the book. Cairo and Thames were about as opposite as you can get, but I loved both of them. It's pretty obvious who is who, but you almost want things to be flipped around as far as who is who. I know, confusing again, but it'll make sense if you read the book! I found myself immediately drawn to Thames, but I wasn't surprised about that as the bad boys are generally the ones I gravitate towards. I think what I liked most about them was that their personalities matched who they were perfectly. Also, they were both so protective of Cassia and cared for her so much and while it was great to see them "fighting" over her (and I know Cassia was all about it as well) it was also great to see them work together to keep her safe. I really hope there is a sequel to this book because I could seriously use another book all about these characters!

Oh, and I'm forever team Thassia.

Writing:
I say it in every review I do of a Megan Linski book but I loved the writing. There's just something about her writing that's so easy to sit down and read. It's descriptive and really gives you the ability to picture the world that she's created, but you never feel like you're being bombarded with information. It flows so well and there's always something about it that will give you the feels. With Torrent, there's an underlying story about a girl that's trying to move on from your past and discovering the person that you are. The romance feels authentic and not like insta-love and the interactions between all of the characters feel genuine and not like things are forced together. Megan Linski has a great way of creating a world and making it feel real, no matter what it's about. Torrent is a beautiful story about personal growth, acceptance, love, and fighting demons to keep the world safe. Hey, it is paranormal romance after all!

Torrent is a fantastic new paranormal romance that is sure to instantly capture everyone's attention. Readers will love the romance between Cassia, Cairo, and Thames and the writing will effortlessly draw you in to their world. With memorable characters, beautiful writing, and an ending that will leave you begging for a sequel, Torrent is a book that can't be missed!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D