Book Review: The Society by Jodie Andrefski

2:46:00 AM

Title: The Society
Author: Jodie Andrefski 
Pages: 304
Genre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: 03 May 2016

From Goodreads: "Welcome to Trinity Academy’s best-kept secret.

The Society.

You’ve been handpicked by the elite of the elite to become a member. But first you’ll have to prove your worth by making it through Hell Week.

Do you have what it takes?

It’s time to find out.

Samantha Evans knows she’d never get an invite to rush the Society—not after her dad went to jail for insider trading. But after years of relentless bullying at the hands of the Society’s queen bee, Jessica, she’s ready to take down Jessica and the Society one peg at a time from the inside out. All it’ll take is a bit of computer hacking, a few fake invitations, some eager rushees…and Sam will get her revenge. Let the games begin."

Thank you to Entangled Teen for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for review!

The Society both met and defied my expectations. What I expected was a revenge story and while it was certainly that, it was so much more. It touched on the serious issue of bullying in schools in a way that both presented the issue as well as the potential consequences. Bullying is not always easy to speak up about, but The Society really helps bring awareness to it. At the end of the book, there is a page dedicated to resources that can be used if you are being bullied and need help. It really just makes the book that much better by offering help to those who may need it.

Sam as a main character was interesting to follow. While I did like her, I didn't agree with some of the choices that she made. I understood her need to make her bully, Jessica, feel how she felt, but the whole using other people to do her dirty work just didn't sit right with me. I enjoyed her spunk, and the fact that she was very tech-savvy, and was glad that she steered clear of the trouble that was Ransom. It's not a secret that I'm not a fan of love triangles but thankfully I don't feel like there really was a triangle between Sam, Jeremy, and Ransom. It was complicated, but never evolved to love triangle status. Huzzah, ten points to Gryffindor!

I really expected there to be more about the actual Society itself, but sadly there was only really one possible incident that may have been Society related towards the end of the book. I was hoping to learn a bit more about some of the things that they do and who was chosen and who actually ran it, with the obvious Jessica answer aside. There was a bit about Sam's fake Society, and then towards the end it's stated that the school denies any existence of the Society, but that's about it. But there was enough to let the reader know that the Society was a thing, I just like more details personally.

By the end of the book, I was very satisfied with how things wrapped up. The book was incredibly well written with some very interesting characters and some really good character development throughout the story. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing of Jodie Andrefski and would definitely recommend The Society to anyone looking for a good YA contemporary with a good lesson at the end.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D