Book Review: Heir to Russia by Megan Linski

4:14:00 PM

Title: Heir to Russia
Author: Megan Linski
Pages
Genre: YA Paranormal/Romance
Release Date: 28 August 2017
From Goodreads: "The future of the vampires— and the fate of the shifters— rests upon the shoulders of Russia’s last heir.
The time for running is over. The time for war has just begun. As the only surviving member of the Romanov family save for Csar Dragomir, Lysandra is in a fight for survival. Her worst enemies are around every corner, hunting for a mystical item that will change the course of the war. Using clues left behind by her ancestor, Princess Anastasia, Lysandra must find it before they do… or suffer the horrors of the undead. But even an artifact as powerful as the one they’re searching for cannot compare to Lisar and Lysandra’s greatest challenge. Before the lovers can see what’s coming, tragedy strikes, and their romance will never be the same. The ending result will change their love story forever… and, potentially, end their marriage. Friends fall. Death is rampant. Couples unite, and the meaning of true love is explored as Lysandra and her companions put everything on the line to bring down a tyrant whose madness knows no end. In the final conclusion of what began as the star crossed tale of a vampire princess and her wolf, who will make the ultimate sacrifice for love?"
Thank you to Megan Linski and Gryfyn Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review! All opinions are my own.

It's over and I can't believe it. I feel like I've been following these characters for so long and now, with Heir to Russia, the series has come to an end. I've been dreading the finale for a while because I just wasn't ready to let go of these characters and this world, but this book was amazing and wraps up the series so well.

Plot:
There is so much that happens in this book and as it is the final book in the series, I don't want to go too much into detail in case of spoilers. But oh my goodness was this absolutely action packed and fantastic. The final battle is almost here and you can definitely feel the tension rising all throughout the book. I won't lie, I was almost in tears from page one until the end (except that one point where I was in tears because reasons BUT WE WON'T TALK ABOUT THAT HERE) because I was so excited to read this. There's a new addition to the group (yes, I cried about that), more about Lysandra's ancestors, a creepy powerful artifact that could change the war forever, love, loss (SERIOUSLY I'M NOT OKAY WITH THE LOSS), a huge tragedy that will change everything, and finally an ending that will leave you sobbing and happy dancing at the same time. I wasn't kidding when I said that there was so much that happens in this book! But, as usual, you don't feel like there's too much going on at once. Keeping the balance between not enough and too much information is a delicate one, but somehow Megan Linski pulls it off effortlessly. I'm telling you, she's a wizard of the written word. Everything from start to finish unfolded so well and it was such an easy book to sit down and get lost in that I had to pace myself and make sure I didn't finish too quickly! Something I like to gush about with Megan Linski's books is how well things flow while you're reading. The pace is set at a brisk walk and nothing is ever rushed or glazed over. You're given everything you need to know when you need to know it and you're never left scrambling back for more information because it all comes out exactly when it needs to. Heir to Russia delivers on all points with a plot that answers all of the questions and gives you a satisfying ending to a beautiful series.

It may be over, but I still want more in this world and I'm not ready to let go yet!

Characters:
I'm going to have to have a serious talk with Megan Linski about creating these amazing characters and then ripping my heart out by taking them away. Anyway!

One thing about this series that I love (because honestly there are so many things I love) is that the relationship between Lysandra and Lisar is so real. Okay, I know, a vampire and wolf relationship isn't real, but that's not what I mean. In so many books, especially YA books, we have the main character in a relationship that's usually love at first sight and it's perfect. They never fight, agree on everything, and run through the field holding hands into the sunset. It's not realistic and it's so annoying to read about since every single book has that kind of relationship. But with this series, Megan Linski does a beautiful job at writing a relationship that you can really relate to. Real couples fight, they don't always agree on things, and they're definitely not perfect. But real couples also talk things out and compromise, which is exactly how Lysandra and Lisar act. Sure, they're dealing with some fairly different things than other couples have to deal with, but they never come off as perfect in any way. They both know it, too, which makes it even more wonderful to read about.

Another character that I have a huge love for is Serghei. He's such a fantastic character and a huge pillar of strength for Lysandra. Throughout the series, he's consistently loyal and helps Lysandra through some difficult times. Honestly, if I had to pick a favorite character outside of Lysandra and Lisar, it would be Serghei. I'm almost positive that I go on and on about Serghei in every review of this series, but really, he's just a good frickin guy.

I think that Heir to Russia had a great mix of characters between the vampires, wolves, and witches. You get the characters you know and love and see them all not only trying to work together to fight Dragomir, but also evolving themselves. You see wolves and vampires falling in love and ending the war between the races in their own way and it's beautiful. I just genuinely adore the characters that Megan Linski has created and they're all so well-written and unique in their own ways. I've thoroughly enjoyed following each of the story lines of all of the characters and seeing how they grow and develop over the course of the series. They all have good and bad experiences and it shapes them all in so many different ways and I really liked seeing how everyone turned out in the end. It's hard to let go of them, but I know they've all gotten their happy ending that they more than deserve!

Writing:
It's really not a secret that I'm a fan of Megan Linski's books. With every book she releases, her writing is the thing I look forward to the most. She's able to paint a picture in your mind of everything that's happening. I felt like I was in the Winter Palace with Lysandra, learning about her ancestor and uncovering secrets. It's effortless to fall into these worlds that have been created and just fly through the book without realizing it. One thing I continually praise Megan Linski on is her ability to balance description. There's never a point where I'm reading her writing where I feel like there's not enough information being given to me and I feel lost, or that there's too much and it's an info dump that makes me not want to continue because I'm overloaded with information. She's able to perfectly balance that line between too much and not enough and I'm always so impressed with how she does it! Her descriptions are beautiful and the world of the Shifter Prophecy is absolutely magical. It's one series that will be impossible to forget, that's for sure.

Heir to Russia closes out the Shifter Prophecy series with a bang! It has the beautiful, descriptive, lyrical writing that accompanies each of the installments, the same lovable, unforgettable characters that you've come to know like the back of your hand, and an ending that will leave you smiling. And if you're like me, bawling like a baby. There's magic, big battles, good, evil, love, loss, and so much more within the pages of Heir to Russia. Be sure to grab it and wrap up your Shifter Prophecy series read with a big, vampirey-wolfy bow!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D