Book Review: Frost by Kaitlyn Davis

5:22:00 PM

Title: Frost
Author: Kaitlyn Davis
Pages: 320
Genre: YA Fantasy/Paranormal
Release Date: 26 January 2017

From Goodreads: "Even the hottest love can turn a girl cold-blooded…

Life's tough for a vampire thief on the run—just ask Pandora Scott, she knows. Four years ago she ran away from home after everyone she loved betrayed her. But now her annoyingly grown up (and handsome) ex boyfriend is stalking her, begging her to return. A mysterious vamp with a particularly dangerous (and sexy) stare keeps popping unexpectedly into her life. The extremely powerful head vampire of New York is hunting her down because she may or may not have broken into his highly-secure, highly-secretive personal vault. And the fate she's been trying to outrun? Well, it's about to catch up. Because even a super-speedy vamp with the ability to disappear can't escape her own destiny."

Thank you to NetGalley and Kaitlyn Davis for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review! All opinions are my own.

I read Withering Rose by Kaitlyn Davis (also have Gathering Frost to read so keep an eye out for my review on that!) and absolutely loved her writing style and knew that anything else she released, I wanted to read. So when I saw Frost, I jumped at the opportunity to read it! I just love the way that she creates and expands upon her worlds and her characters are so easy to read about and fall in love with. Frost is no exception and I am so incredibly eager for the sequel!

Plot:
Pandora is a vampire thief on the run. Four years ago, she ran away from her Titan life after being betrayed. She's stolen from some pretty powerful vampires and is constantly running from them. And now? Her annoying ex-boyfriend is chasing her, trying to get her to come home, so she's running from him, too. She spends a large majority of this book trying to outrun her past, basically, but it was quite an adventure! When she's not stealing from other vamps, she's sneaking in and saving people that said vamps are keeping in their dungeons. Pandora felt like such a rebel and I loved how different she was from my original assumption. The titan aspect was interesting and I definitely want to learn more about them in the next book as I didn't feel like we got enough of them in Frost. We did get a bit of backstory on why Pandora ran away and became a vampire, but there was a big piece of information introduced right at the end that left me with a ton of questions! There was a lot going on throughout the book and with the exception of the portion of the book where Pandora was with Jax, it moved fairly quickly. I really enjoyed the parts where Pandora was doing her invisible thief thing because she just seemed so comfortable doing it, even when encountering things she wasn't expecting, such as conduits and a head vamp from her past. There were characters from another series that showed up at a few points which, while you don't exactly have to have read the other series to read Frost, there is a small spoiler regarding the other characters and their story and I was kind of bummed to have that series slightly spoiled for me. But don't let that deter you from reading this book because it's definitely worth a read! It's very entertaining and gives you time to really build up a sort of relationship with Pandora so you can connect with her and understand what she's going through, which is something I really enjoyed. You get to see Pandora in action, get some backstory on her past with Jax and the Titans, and get a cliffhanger ending that will definitely leave you wanting more!

Characters:
Pandora was a fantastic main character! She was strong, independent, level-headed, and so incredibly sassy. She was also unlike other vampires she encounters over the course of the book and I liked that she stood out so much. There was an element of sadness with her character, likely from her past with the Titan compound, her father, and Jax, but there was also a large element of strength that she constantly exuded. Not necessarily physical strength, but more so emotional and mental strength. Pandora struggled with her past, but she never let herself fall because of it, even when she found out the truth about why she left. It was just refreshing to read about a strong female character that rose above her struggles and made herself a better person. I loved that she used her invisibility to help those that were being held in dungeons by the higher-up vampires. I felt like it added a level of emotion and feeling that none of the other vampires in this book showed and it really made her stand out, as I mentioned above. Pandora was just wonderful, and I really can't wait to read more about her in the sequel! As for Jax, he was definitely my least favorite. I understood his motivation behind wanting to get Pandora back, but I never really found myself liking him. He would show up at the worst times and get Pandora into more trouble, he constantly brought up going back with him when he knew that she had zero interest in going home, and he even tried to force her to get the cure for vampirism which is another thing she didn't want to do. He tried to be charming, but I saw through all of his crap like he was transparent. Also, he betrays her again at the end of the book, so Jax is pretty much a no-go for me. Sam was a character that I really wanted more of, because there wasn't enough of him for me to properly form an opinion on him. I liked the short parts where he was in the book, and his story about how he knows Pandora and his involvement with "that night" definitely had me curious about him, so I really hope he shows up in the next book.

Writing:
As I stated above, the book does slow down a bit once Jax and Pandora are together, but other than that it flows pretty well. I loved the way Pandora was written, obviously, and the overall feeling that I got from this book was dark and mysterious. The way that you're slowly given bits of information about Pandora's past and how her invisibility was so unique among the Titans was really enjoyable. I appreciated the slow-ish build up and that it wasn't all thrown at the reader all at once. You really are given an opportunity to connect with Pandora on a much deeper level and I appreciated that the author took the time to allow the reader to connect with her on more than just the surface. The slow delivery of Pandora's history allows you to understand why she left, why she does the things she does, and I just found myself loving her more and more as I continued to read. The writing itself was very well-done! I loved the action scenes and the parts where Pandora was describing going invisible were really beautiful and creepy, but in a good way. Frost was very easy to read and by the time I was finished I was already looking up information on the sequel!

Once again, Kaitlyn Davis has written a book that I've absolutely devoured. She's a fantastic writer and I really enjoy everything I read by her! Frost is a great beginning to a new paranormal series that has vampires, a group of people with unique powers (Titans), mystery, betrayal, and an ending that left me dancing. If you're looking for an enjoyable, easy to read, new paranormal series, then Frost is definitely for you!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D