Book Review: ReMade Episode Seven- Mourning Train by Carrie Harris

10:30:00 PM

Title: ReMade Episode Seven: Mourning Train
Author: Carrie Harris
Pages: 35
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Release Date: 26 October 2016
From Goodreads: "You live. You love. You die. Now RUN. ReMade. 

Every minute, 108 people die. 
On October 14th, 2016, from 9:31-9:32 p.m. EDT, 23 of those deaths will be teenagers. 
Now they are humanity’s last hope for survival. 

Awakened in a post-apocalyptic world and hunted by mechanical horrors, these teens search for answers amidst the ruins of civilization. Fate, love, and loyalty face off in this adrenaline -pumping YA adventure.

ReMade will unfold across 15 episodes. "Mourning Train" is the seventh episode.

This episode written by Carrie Harris."

Thank you to NetGalley and Serial Box for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review!

We're at the (sort of) halfway point with ReMade! This episode follows Nevaeh, the girl that died of cancer, and how she goes about dealing with the events from episode five. While she is the main voice of this episode, you also get to see how everyone is coping with the brutal caretaker attack and loss of some of the group members as the mysterious train travels to an unknown destination. Unfortunately, I think this one missed the mark for me character-wise, but I was fairly satisfied with how the story progressed.

This episode was filled with an incredibly frustrating amount of teenage angst. I understood why they would be upset, as they were just attacked by caretakers and watched some of their friends die in front of them, but there was so much anger that basically radiated off of some of the characters. Loki in general was the most annoying to read about, and I spent the whole episode wondering exactly why he was acting the way he was. Nevaeh was a new character to me, as I did not read episode three, Home, Perilous Home, and I just could not bring myself to like her. She was a huge Debbie Downer, for lack of a better term, and just rubbed me the wrong way throughout the episode. Again, the situation that they have been placed in is a difficult one, especially having to deal with the loss of some of their group, but there were just too many characters that were angry and lashing out for me to feel any kind of connection or sympathy for them.

While I didn't exactly enjoy the characters in this episode, I did like the sort-of progression of the plot and also the potential questions that were raised about the caretakers. It was mostly angry teenagers on a train but towards the very end, they encounter a caretaker that is driving the train. Because of what just happened with the caretaker attack, the group was rightfully scared of any caretaker that they came across. But this certain caretaker that they saw behind the door was supposedly driving the train and didn't immediately attack them when it saw them. This made me curious about the caretakers and if they are all as brutal and scary as they have been portrayed. Another good example is from the previous episode, Reality No-Show, where the "camera" caretaker simply followed Teddy and Inez around and didn't try to kill them. It just brings an element of mystery as to the true nature of the caretakers and why some are murderous but others seem to just...exist. I hope that there is more to the caretakers than meets the eye and that it is addressed in future episodes!

Despite this not being my favorite episode of the series, I still enjoyed the writing style of Carrie Harris and would really like to read another episode written by her. Hopefully it will be filled with less angst and frustration but still have the appealing writing style that I liked. If you're someone that enjoys books with teenagers being super angsty after being attacked by giant spider-like mechanical robots (okay, maybe that last part was a stretch), then this episode will definitely appeal to you! This one just didn't do it for me, unfortunately, but I certainly like the way that the writing flowed and how descriptive it was, and I believe that made it more enjoyable for me. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and see how it all concludes!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D