Book Review: The Witch's Curse by Megan Linski

8:12:00 PM

Title: The Witch's Curse
Author: Megan Linski
Pages: 34
Genre: Paranormal/Fantasy
Release Date: 03 August 2016

From Goodreads: " "The scream of a dying girl was the singular sound that changed my life, forever."

When Briar enters the Eldermere Woods alone, she never could've imagined the danger that awaited her there. As a young witch, she's sought by hunters who desire her blood, a group of radicals who wish to eliminate all magical creatures. When Briar discovers a fellow witch slaughtered in the forest, her boring afternoon is changed into a fight for her life. With the help of her dragon shifter love, Thomas, Briar must find a way to stop the witch hunters from destroying her town of Thorny Brook. But is her magic strong enough to defeat her most dangerous enemies?"

Thank you to Megan Linski for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for review!

It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Megan Linski and her amazing Rhodi trilogy that was released earlier this month. So after I finished that trilogy (okay, admittedly it was while I was reading the trilogy because I knew I would want more of her writing) I began my search for more Megan Linski books. Luckily enough, The Witch's Curse was sent to me for joining her VIP list, and this is the perfect book to read now that it's nearing the Fall season! 

This was a super short novella with five chapters, but oh my goodness did it leave me wanting more! The story follows a young witch named Briar who has come across the body of a fellow witch in the Eldermere Woods. As she journeys back to town to alert the people of witch hunters, she bumps into her boyfriend, Thomas. The two fight a group of witch hunters in the woods, Briar using her magic and Thomas using his dragon shifter abilities to, well, turn into a giant dragon and eat one of the hunters. That is as much as I can say without giving the entire story away, but that alone would be enough to get me hooked!

Even though this was a short story, I found myself absolutely falling in love with the world that Megan Linski created. In just a few short chapters, she built a world where magical creatures have "come out" to the world, a main character that is a super cool witch, and a secondary character that is part dragon. What more could a fan of paranormal books ask for? This short story has it all and then some! It's not an easy feat to capture the attention of your audience in 34 pages, but Megan Linski does this almost effortlessly.

I absolutely adored Briar and her world. She lives in a small town called Throny Brook that is filled with all kinds of magical creatures such as centaurs, witches, warlocks, and shifters. The last chapter was action packed and really gave Briar a chance to shine with the battle between the town and the witch hunters. Once it ended, I found myself wanting to dive deeper into the world and learn more about Briar and her growing powers as a witch, Thomas and his ability to shift into a dragon, as well as more about how the world has reacted now that the magical creatures have made themselves known. It seems like it could be such a fantastic book, even book series, because there is so much world building that could be done with this wonderful base that has been established in The Witch's Curse!

If you're looking for a quick read filled with beautiful writing, unique characters, and some really incredible world building that is sure to leave you wanting more, be sure to sign up for Megan Linski's VIP list so you can read The Witch's Curse!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D