Interview with the Author: L.E. Sterling

10:32:00 PM


Hello readers! Today I have a very special post for you all. I had the privilege of interviewing the author of True Born, a YA sci-fi/fantasy novel releasing today, May 3rd, 2016. This was such a wonderful experience and I am so excited to share this with you!

Please join me in welcoming the wonderful L.E. Sterling!

1. Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?

Hi, everyone, and thanks for having me here. I’m L.E. Sterling, author of the upcoming True Born Trilogy. True Born (Book 1) is being released on May 3rd. It’s a YA sci-fi romantic dystopia novel, but I’m gathering from readers that it’s very different from other sci-fi dystopia – there’s a very large element of fantasy in the novel that makes it kind of unique.  I’m also the author of two other YA novels: The Originals (under my original pen name, L.E. Vollick and Pluto’s Gate. 
What else can I tell you? I’m a Canadian. Growing up, my family’s religion was Star Trek. I earned a PhD and my thesis was on magic (that was fun).

2. What are some of your goals for the future? 

Goals… What an interesting question. My first goal is to write the best darned trilogy I can, and really deliver an amazing series to readers. After that, well, it would be great if eventually I could write books full-time instead of full-time on top of my full-time job!

3. What are some things you do to help relieve writers block?

I don’t really believe in writer’s block. If I’m stuck it’s for a good reason, so I sit long enough to understand what the problem is. Typically I’ll just keep writing and then maybe go back and rewrite, or make notes until I understand what the book is trying to tell me.

4. If you weren't a writer, what do you see yourself doing? 

I honestly can’t see myself being anything else. At my “day job” (because even having published three novels, I don’t make enough to support myself by writing books) I’m also a writer. I write stories about amazing advances in science, biomedical engineering, and medicine. It’s a great job - and obviously really inspired True Born!


5. Do you have any unique/quirky writing habits? 

Hmm. I think the quirkiest thing about my writing habits is that I can’t stand having dry hands. I always need some moisturizer nearby or I get distracted.

6. What does a "normal" day of writing consist of for you? 

Ha! Define “normal”. I get up at around 5 and write in a journal for a bit, then hunker down to the book. Sometimes I don’t get a lot done, but on average I can write between 2 and 4 pages. And then I have to go to my day job!

7. Do you have any advice for aspiring writers? 

Work at it! The thing about writing is that it’s a business. You’ve got to apprentice to the craft, learn to write and edit and think through the problems of writing. But then you’ve got the “business” side that you also need to learn. And it takes (well, for most of us) a long time to get really good, so don’t get discouraged!

8. How did the idea of True Born come to you? 

I was going to write another set of novels set in Dominion, centering around Serena and Carl and Storm. I wrote True Born as the backstory for those novels, just sort of exploring the world and this story emerged – and then it took off!

9. What was your favourite part of True Born to write?

I loved writing the action scenes! I’ve always wanted to write a good action scene, and in True Born I think I’d got a couple of interesting ones down.

10. What was the hardest part of writing True Born?

I think the hardest part was building the tensions properly between Jared and Lucy. I’m always afraid of tipping my hand and making things heavy handed, but I think if anything I’m guilty of the opposite! What I think is already clear is “subtle” and “simmering” for the readers.


11. If you were True Born, what animal features would you have?

Hmm. Great question. I actually had a conversation about this with a friend not so long ago. I think I’d have some characteristics of a fox. They’re clever, swift, like to run, but skittish!


12. Which character do you think you would get along with the most? 

I think Nolan Storm and I would be BFFs. At least, I hope we would! I know he doesn't seem the type to make friends easily, but I really think he’s cool. I also think I’d like him to buy me dinner, because I bet he’d take me to the very best restaurants!

13. Is there any insight you can give into the future of the True Born series?

The second book, True North, will be coming out in April 2017! I’m really excited about this one - I think it’s going to be a great read. I’m still hard at work on the third novel and I think the most I can say is…well, you’ll have to read it to believe it!

Thanks so much for the interview! I’d love to hear from readers, so please get in touch!

Twitter: @le_sterling
Or follow my websitewww.le-sterling.com

Thank you so much to L.E. Sterling for stopping by and for being such a pleasure to work with!
Please be sure and check out L.E. Sterling at all of her links and pick up True Born, available today, May 3rd, 2016!

Barnes and Noble
Amazon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D