Book Review: Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand

5:17:00 AM

Title: Imitation
Author: Heather Hildenbrand
Pages: 223
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Release Date: 29 July 2014

From Goodreads: "Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me. Ven wrestles with these contradicting truths every day. A clone of wealthy eighteen-year-old Raven Rogen, Ven knows everything about the girl she was created to serve: the clothes she wears, the boys she loves, the friends she loves to hate. Yet she’s never met the Authentic Raven face-to-face. Imitations like Ven only get to leave the lab when they’re needed—to replace a dead Authentic, donate an organ, or complete a specific mission. And Raven has never needed Ven . . . until now. When there is an attack on Raven’s life, Ven is thrust into the real world, posing as Raven to draw out the people who tried to harm her. But as Ven dives deeper into Raven’s world, she begins to question everything she was ever told. She exists for Raven, but is she prepared to sacrifice herself for a girl she’s never met?"

Let me start this review off by saying I absolutely loved this book.

I was first attracted to this book by the cover- I am a huge sucker for an intriguing cover and Imitation did not disappoint me. Once the cover drew me in, the synopsis had me hooked and I knew instantly that I had to read this book as soon as I could. It didn't take me long to read through Imitation and once I had finished the last page, I found myself rushing to my computer to see if there was a sequel. Thankfully, there is, and I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy!

Ven lives in a world where there are Authentics and Imitations. She is an Imitation created to serve Raven Rogen, an Authentic. Since being awoken, Ven has been taught that she is only a clone that lives to serve her Authentic, that she is not human. But as Ven grows and eventually takes the place of Raven, she begins to question her mission, and if she's prepared to sacrifice her life for a girl that she's never even met. Imitation takes you on an incredible journey from start to finish and is definitely worth a second read through!

I cannot say enough good things about this book. From beginning to end, Imitation had me absolutely hooked. I loved reading about Ven, and watching her transformation from subservient Imitation to a strong, brave, independent girl. I loved the plot of the book, and how the author was able to write a story that kept me interested from the very first page to the last word of the book. I loved the setting and how the description allowed me to place myself in the story with Ven. I can't think of a single thing that I didn't love about this book!

If you're a fan of science fiction, a future where clones exist, and strong female characters, then Imitation is for you! I could go on about this book for hours, talking about how much I loved the integration of characters from the beginning in the end, to the beautiful way the author weaved the words on each page, but I highly suggest reading the book as soon as you can get your hands on it!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D