Book Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

11:43:00 AM

Title: The Rising
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 407
Published: April 2nd, 2013
Genre: YA Fiction
                        
From Goodreads: "Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help. 
All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control. But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever." 

The Rising is a wonderful conclusion to yet another amazing trilogy from Kelley Armstrong. With action, suspense, and a bit of romance, The Rising does not disappoint. Fans of this series, the Darkest Powers series, and even her Women of the Otherworld series will love the amazing world that Kelley Armstrong has woven together and brought to a satisfying end.


Maya and her friends are on the run, presumed dead in a helicopter crash that was no accident. Now they are being hunted by the St. Cloud's, the group that created them, as well as a rival Cabal. All they want is answers, and no one is talking. What awaits Maya and her friends is more than they ever could have imagined.

First off, I have to say that I absolutely loved that Kelley Armstrong wove in parts of her Otherworld series into her YA books. I think that it helped that I knew about the Cabals and what they were from that series. Not to mention I had a huge fan-girl moment when the Syracuse pack was brought up.

I was definitely left smiling by the end of the book. Maya ended up with who I wanted her to end up with, they got everything they wanted, and the potential for another trilogy was there, which makes me incredibly happy. Although, letting go of a series is never easy, the ending helped me accept that it was over. Well, for now at least.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was Rafe. I wasn't a huge fan of his, even from the first book. It was nice that he cared so much about Annie, but that was his only redeeming quality for me. While he was only acting the way he did to find the other skin-walker in Salmon Creek, that ruined his whole character for me. I was able to look beyond him while reading, and my experience was not ruined by his character.

The Darkness Rising series is one I would definitely recommend to anyone and everyone. It has a perfect balance of everything that makes a book amazing, and then some. Kelley Armstrong is a wonderful writer with an incredible eye for detail and never fails to make me fall in love with the world and characters that she can create. I can only hope that she decides to continue on with writing YA books for many years to come!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D